The party bosses of rejected Congressman David Young are at it again this week with a flailing new ad that tries all manners of misleading attacks to distort Cindy Axne’s record in Congress.
Here are the facts on Cindy Axne’s record on Washington politics, China, and protecting American jobs:
Fighting corruption: While keeping her pledge not to accept any donations from corporate PACs, Cindy Axne has fought to get money out of politics and combat corruption in Washington.
- Cindy Axne sponsored legislation to ban lawmakers from becoming lobbyists and prevent lawmakers from wasting taxpayer dollars on luxuries like first class air travel.
- She also helped pass legislation that would crack down on ‘dark money’ political groups.
China: In Congress, Cindy Axne has consistently pushed to hold China accountable for their human rights abuses, predatory lending, and defiance of other rules of the international system.
- Cindy Axne helped advance and enact two new laws that help impose sanctions for those involved in Chinese human rights abuses of the Uyghur minority ethnic group and China’s ongoing intrusion into the autonomy of Hong Kong.
- She voted for the Chinese Debt Transparency Act, which calls for greater transparency of Chinese lending to other countries – especially as international economic turmoil hits developing nations that have debt held by China.
- Cindy also supported legislation that would prohibit financing for individuals sanctioned for human rights abuses – including those who have cracked down on pro-democracy actions in Hong Kong.
Fighting Burdensome Taxes and Outsourcing: Cindy Axne has also focused on ensuring middle class families have every opportunity to succeed by protecting Iowa jobs from outsourcing and providing important tax relief.
- Cindy Axne championed multiple pieces of legislation that will protect Iowa jobs from outsourcing and hold U.S. corporations accountable for offshoring jobs and profits.
- She spoke up and fought in Congress to get three different health care taxes repealed last year to prevent millions of American from paying more for their health care.
- Cindy also crafted legislation to prevent hospitals from paying taxes on federal COVID-19 aid meant to help keep health centers open and personnel on staff.
“David Young and his party bosses must be pretty desperate to change the subject from his dangerous record in Congress if they’re resorting to this scattershot fear-mongering about Cindy Axne. Cindy Axne has focused on delivering for Iowa, fighting Washington corruption, and standing up for democracy and human rights around the world – and no amount of Washington party ad money will change that record,” said Ian Mariani, spokesperson for Cindy Axne for Congress.