FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September, 2 2020
Once again, rejected Congressman David Young is hoping his party bosses can bail him out by distracting Iowans from his dangerous voting record with misleading ads about Representative Cindy Axne’s record of fighting for hardworking Iowans.
The truth is, while Cindy Axne has been working to lower the cost of health care, root out corruption, and make sure our tax system helps the middle class instead of wealthy special interests, David Young consistently did the opposite in Washington.
No amount of damage control from David Young’s party bosses can change the facts on Cindy’s record:
- Cindy Axne cosponsored and helped pass the “For The People Act,” which requires disclosures of donors from Super PACs and “dark money” groups.
- Axne also authored legislation to prevent members of Congress from using taxpayer dollars on first-class travel and ban members from becoming lobbyists after their tenure.
Cindy Axne has worked to protect Iowa workers and industries instead of big corporations and wealthy Americans.
- While David Young voted for a tax handout to wealthy corporations at the expense of middle class Iowans, Cindy Axne has fought to hold corporations accountable for offshoring American jobs and dodging taxes through multiple pieces of legislation.
- Axne got legislation passed to ensure financial support and access to capital for rural entrepreneurs.
- Axne also broke with her party and opposed a coronavirus aid package that included aid for wealthy earners and special interest lobbying groups.
Cindy Axne has fought to expand access to affordable quality health care and lower the costs of health care for Iowa families.
- While David Young voted multiple times to strip health care coverage for thousands of Iowans, Cindy Axne has voted to strengthen protections for preexisting condition and authored legislation to lower the costs of health care for Iowa families.
- Axne wrote bipartisan legislation to support rural hospitals by cutting burdensome red tape, and has pushed to expand COVID-19 assistance programs to specifically include rural health centers.
- Axne also introduced legislation to address surprise medical billing and fought to lower the costs of prescription drugs.
“David Young may be counting on his party bosses’ efforts to bail him out with misleading advertising that hide his record, but no amount of money can change the fact that he put his special interest and party bosses ahead of hardworking Iowans just three years ago,” said Cindy Axne for Congress spokesperson Ian Mariani. “Iowans want an independent voice in Congress that will fight for their best interests, not someone who will turn their backs on their constituents to keep the support of their party’s big donors.”
In 2017, after pledging to oppose a Republican health care bill that would have removed those protections, created an age tax, and raised premiums on Iowa families, David Young changed his mind and sold out his constituents after his party bosses threatened to pull their financial support.